**Due to the ever-changing climate of COVID-19, these regulations are fluid and may change as there are updates in county, city and industry guidelines.**
With the number of cases doubling in our neighborhood over the last week to 4%, the Hollywood Fringe is requiring masks at indoor Fringe sponsored events. This will include Fringe Runway & Fringe Cabaret. At our Opening Night Party, Fringe Central, and Awards, we will require masks while inside, including while using the restroom or using indoor facilities. This small gesture of goodwill helps keep you and your audiences safe in the first week of Fringe so that we may all continue performing together in community throughout the Festival dates.
Venues and performances have various masking guidelines, but for the health and safety of performers, regardless of vaccination status, festival organizers strongly encourage every patron to wear a face covering inside the theater.
In short, to attend any Hollywood Fringe event, you must:
- Show proof of vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test result (within 48 hours for PCR, 24 for antigen – home tests are not allowed)
- Bring a mask as it’s likely required (surgical or above recommended)
Some venues or performances will require you to wear a mask. Do not question them. This could lead to expulsion from our ticketing system.
Only want to see performances that require masks? This accessibility guide includes a listing of all shows that require masks as well as other accessibility info across the Festival.
We know that participation this year is going to be a tough choice for some, and we encourage you to only participate in activities that feel comfortable and safe to you. If you are not comfortable with the below requirements, we encourage you to participate in the digital Fringe experience. This will allow you to view shows from the comfort of your own home.
COVID-19 Vaccinations or Negative Test Results Will Be Required for All Performances at the Hollywood Fringe
- Have your proof of vaccination and photo ID ready (booster encouraged but not required) for entry into any theater in the Fringe Zone.
- If you are not fully vaccinated, you must provide a negative test result conducted within 48 hours (24 hours if taking an antigen test instead of PCR) of the event/meeting you are attending.
It is the responsibility of the primary producer of the project to confirm vaccination or negative test results at your box office. Some venues may provide this service–speak to your space ahead of time to ensure you are working together.
Masks Required at Some Events, Recommended Everywhere
In the spirit of community, we ask that our audience members think of those whom they need to protect from this rapidly spreading virus while attending Fringe shows. This includes children, immunocompromised folks, those who were unable to receive the vaccination for one reason or another. By wearing a mask, we are displaying an incredibly vital sign of care for others, which is what the Hollywood Fringe Festival is all about. For their sakes, and the sake of those that care for those humans, we strongly urge you, the artists and production teams to wear a mask while indoors at any Fringe events, shows or rehearsals.
Additionally, audience masking protects you, the artists on stage, and other audience members, so that we can continue our month-long run, safely, respectfully, and in community.
As a patron within the Fringe Zone, the following precautions are in place:
* You have the option for a completely touchless ticketing system by purchasing in advance through the Fringe website. You do not need to print out a physical ticket.
* The majority of actors will likely perform without a mask when they are on stage.
* Patrons, even if fully vaccinated, are encouraged to wear a mask at all times while inside our theater lobbies and houses. Some individual shows will provide additional requirements (including the requirement of masking). Please check individual show pages for COVID requirements.
* Los Angeles County Department of Health mandated signage will be posted outside and indoors. (Fringe will send)
* Face masks will be made available if patrons do not have one when they arrive and would like one (Fringe will help supply to venues if needed)
* Hand sanitizer and/or hand washing stations (restrooms are acceptable hand washing stations) will be available for all attendees.
* Have proof of your full vaccination and photo ID ready for entry into any theater in the Fringe Zone. The following are acceptable as proof of vaccination status:
- Vaccination card (which includes name of person vaccinated, type of COVID-19 vaccine provided and date last dose administered)
- A photo of a vaccination card as a separate document
- A photo of the attendee’s vaccine card stored on a phone or electronic device
- A digital vaccination card
- Documentation of the person’s full vaccination against COVID-19 from a healthcare provider.
* The following guidelines must be followed to show proof of negative test result if you are unvaccinated:
- The test result is negative AND
- The test was taken within the last 2 days (if PCR/NAAT) or 1 day (if antigen), AND
- The type of test is antigen (Ag) or PCR/NAAT COVID-19 or SARS-CoV-2, AND
- The result is from a laboratory or healthcare or test provider or patient platform for the healthcare provider (e.g., Healthvana, CommonPass, CLEAR Health Pass)
- A COVID-19 self-test, sometimes referred to as “home test,” is not acceptable.
- The result can be a printed copy or on a phone (e.g., digital health record or email or text message from a test provider or laboratory).
- See LA County full list of test recommendations here.
* For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19:
- Two weeks or more after they have received their last dose of the in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen).
- If it has been over 6 months since your last dose, it is highly recommended you receive a booster shot. Some venues will not allow performers/crew into the building without proof of booster, and those performers should use the unvaccinated guidance to stay compliant.
* In the spirit of community, we are additionally strongly recommending that any Festival participant get a COVID-19 test before participating in any in-person Fringe events. In addition to the above safety guidelines already established for this year's festival season, we feel that this added precaution will go a long way in keeping our community safe. HFF staff is already putting this into practice by scheduling weekly tests whenever our staff is required to be on site to be sure we are doing our part and leading by example.
Audience COVID Self Assessment Before Attendance
Before arriving for each performance, we ask you to take a moment to self assess with the following questions:
- Have I been or suspect I have been in contact with a person with COVID-19 in the last 7 days?
- Have I experienced any of the following in the last 48 hours?
- FEVER OR CHILLS
- SHORTNESS OF BREATH OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING
- MUSCLE OF BODY ACHES
- LOSS OF TASTE OR SMELL
- SORE THROAT
- CONGESTION OR RUNNY NOSE
- NAUSEA OR VOMITING
If so, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we would be glad to assist you in rescheduling your tickets for another performance date.
For the health and safety of our performers, regardless of vaccination status, we strongly encourage every patron to wear a face covering inside the theater.
- All masks must fit snugly around the nose and chin; a nose wire may be helpful in achieving a close seal. They may not be made of lace or similarly open or web-like material.
- Face shields can be used in addition to face masks, but are not an acceptable alternative to face masks, as described above.
- Masks may be removed while actively eating or drinking in designated concessions areas. It is strongly recommended that masks are reapplied between bites/sips for the safety of all patrons.
- Surgical/3-ply, KN95, KF94 and N95 masks will be made available at all Fringe sponsored events and at Concierge.
Seating at the Fringe will not have physical distancing requirements inside the theaters unless designated by the producer of each individual show, due to the low seating capacity of each theater space. This may change if Los Angeles County calls for deeper restrictions within indoor spaces.
CLEANING & SAFETY PROTOCOLS
At least once daily during the Fringe run, each event space will be fully sanitized. This will include:
- Cleaning of all frequently touched surfaces
- The sanitizing of all restrooms
Digital ticketing is still our only method of delivery for advance tickets. To find your digital ticket after purchase from the Hollywood Fringe site, look out for an email from email@example.com. You do not need to print out this ticket, as we will have a will call sheet at the venue with ticket purchasers listed.
ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE THE FRINGE ZONE
Although we cannot regulate what happens outside of our Festival grounds and planned events, we encourage our artists, producers, partners and audiences to follow these safety recommendations before and after attending or working on a Fringe show in-person. It's our duty as a community to keep each other safe, and by using the guidelines above, we can minimize the risk that COVID-19 presents to us. What we do outside our community affects us all.
- How can I book a vaccination appointment to ensure I can safely attend the Fringe?
You can book a free COVID-19 vaccination appointment through LA County Public Health here.
- What if I feel sick?
We ask all audience members, patrons, artists, and venue representatives to stay home if you do not feel well, have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks), have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks), or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks). If any of the latter is true, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with rescheduling your tickets.
If a virtual performance is available, we can help you switch your tickets to that style of attendance if you email email@example.com within 24 hours of the event.
- Where do I have to wear masks?
Depending on each theater you visit, requirements will be different. Please check individual show pages for requirements.
All guests are encouraged to wear face coverings during performances and while inside the theater premises.
- What happens if I don’t follow these guidelines?
Our venues and producers reserve the right to refuse entrance to anyone who does not follow these protocols. The Hollywood Fringe will happily refund those who are unwilling to follow these protocols if you do not wish to comply with safety requests of our venues and artists.
That being said, if you break our code of conduct, we reserve the right to expel you and those in your ticketing party from participation.
- What if I arrive at the theater and it doesn’t feel safe to me?
The Hollywood Fringe will offer you a full refund if you arrive at the theater and are not comfortable attending the performance due to COVID-19 precautions.
- Why masks?
Even though masks are not required, the Hollywood Fringe continues to encourage all patrons, artists, and staff to wear masks while inside our venues for the safety of all who enjoy our festival.
Although there is not a mask mandate across Los Angeles County at this time, mask wearing has been strongly recommended to help stop the spread of each variant, even among those who are vaccinated. Masks work, and help keep the immunocompromised and children of our community safe during this deadly pandemic.
More information on the Los Angeles County Health Department’s mask recommendations here.