**Due to the ever-changing climate of COVID-19, we will not be publishing our COVID Audience Safety plan for 2022 until closer to the Festival run, when we are clearer on expectation from county, city and industry guidelines.**
See below for 2021 COVID-19 safety plans. Our 2022 plans will work as closely to these guidelines as we can, while expanding experience based on health recommendations.
2021 Festival Policy
COVID-19 Vaccinations or Negative Test Results Required
This is a living document and will be updated as protocols evolve for live productions.
Please know the Hollywood Fringe is dedicated to ensuring the health and safety of our patrons and artists, and that all our venues are complying with guidelines and regulations established by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, as well as the CDC, and the California Department of Public Health.
We know that participation this year is going to be a tough choice for some, and we encourage you to only participate in activities that feel comfortable and safe to you. If you are not comfortable with the below requirements, we encourage you to participate in the digital Fringe experience. This will allow you to view shows from the comfort of your own home.
We also realize that some precautions that are not necessarily required by the government, but will ensure our community is safe, are necessary.
In the spirit of community, we ask that our audience members think of those whom they need to protect from this rapidly spreading virus. Our children, immunocompromised folks, those who were unable to receive the vaccination for one reason or another, are still at risk.
For their own sakes, and the sake of those that care for those humans, at all in-person performances, you will be required to wear a mask indoors in compliance with the current LA County mandate. In addition to wearing a mask, you will need to present proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative COVID-19 test (within 72 hours) along with a photo ID.
When a Hollywood Fringe staff member, producer, venue manager, audience member, guest or any other person within the Hollywood Fringe Zone requests for you to wear a mask while participating in an indoor Fringe event, do not question them. You may always take a mask break outside or leave the event.
In an effort to protect our venue partners, who are going above and beyond, if you do not follow our protocols, but you insist on trying to enter a Fringe venue, Fringe will expel you from our ticketing system for the next two Fringes (more details below).
In short, the Hollywood Fringe Festival cares about the safety of our community and is requiring masks AND proof of vaccination or a negative test result so that we can continue our month-long celebration of the arts safely, respectfully, and in community.
In the spirit of community, we are additionally strongly recommending that any Festival participant or audience member get a weekly COVID-19 test. In addition to the above safety guidelines already established for this year's festival season, we feel that this added precaution will go a long way in keeping our community safe.
Know that HFF staff is already putting this into practice by scheduling free weekly tests during the festival run, to be sure we are doing our part and leading by example. If you or a member of a Fringe production team tests positive, know that we are here for you and will work with you to make the best of any situation; to reschedule show times, exchange tickets, and support any changes that need to be made to keep the community safe.
As a patron within the Fringe Zone, the following precautions are in place:
* Patrons, even if fully vaccinated, must wear a mask at all times while inside our theatre lobbies and houses, in accordance with current LA County guidelines. While outside the theatre premises or in their designated concessions/bar areas, you may take your mask off (theatres will post signage where this is applicable). Food and drink should not be consumed outside of these areas.
* Actors are allowed to perform without a mask when they are on stage, but will reapply a mask when in other places within the theatre/venue space.
* Have your proof of your vaccination and photo ID ready for entry into any theatre in the Fringe Zone.
- The following are acceptable as proof of vaccination status: Vaccination card (which includes name of person vaccinated, type of COVID-19 vaccine provided and date last dose administered) OR a photo of a vaccination card as a separate document OR a photo of the attendee’s vaccine card stored on a phone or electronic device OR a digital vaccination card OR documentation of the person’s full vaccination against COVID-19 from a healthcare provider.
* For the purposes of this guidance, people are considered fully vaccinated for COVID-19: two weeks or more after they have received the second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna), or two weeks or more after they have received a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson [J&J]/Janssen).
* Pre-entry “negative testing” is testing that must be conducted within 72 hours before event start time (both PCR and antigen are acceptable). Results of the test must be available prior to entry into the venue.
- The following are acceptable as proof of a negative COVID-19 viral test result: Printed document (from the test provider or laboratory) OR an email or text message displayed on a phone from the test provider or laboratory. The information should provide your name, type of test performed, and negative test result (date of test must be within prior 72 hours.)
* Information will be prominently placed on all communications, including the reservation and ticketing systems, to ensure guests are aware of masking and testing and vaccination requirements (including acceptable modes of verification).
* We strongly recommend that each audience member that attends any in-person Hollywood Fringe performances be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If not vaccinated, you must provide a negative COVID-19 test result.
* It is the responsibility of the primary producer of the project to confirm vaccination or negative test results of cast members. Per LA County's guidelines, you must test all performers and crew who are not fully vaccinated at least once before the production begins and then two times per week for the duration of the production. See screening testing guidance for more details.
* You have the option for a completely touchless ticketing system by purchasing in advance through the Fringe website. You do not need to print out a physical ticket.
* Los Angeles County Department of Health mandated signage will be posted outside and indoors.
* Hollywood Fringe will provide additional signage about the importance of wearing a mask indoors and the health and safety we wish to provide our artists and audiences alike.
* Hand sanitizer and/or hand washing stations (restrooms are acceptable hand washing stations) will be available for all attendees.
Audience COVID Self Assessment Before Attendance
Before leaving for each performance, we ask you to take a moment to self assess with the following questions:
- Have I been or suspect I have been in contact with a person with COVID-19 in the last 7 days?
- Have I experienced any of the following in the last 48 hours?
- FEVER OR CHILLS
- SHORTNESS OF BREATH OR DIFFICULTY BREATHING
- MUSCLE OF BODY ACHES
- LOSS OF TASTE OR SMELL
- SORE THROAT
- CONGESTION OR RUNNY NOSE
- NAUSEA OR VOMITING
If so, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, and we would be glad to assist you in rescheduling your tickets for another performance date or providing a refund.
For the health and safety of our performers, regardless of vaccination status, every patron must wear a face covering inside the theater, except while in designated concessions areas.
- Cloth, surgical/3-ply, KN95, and N95 masks are permitted.
- Cloth masks must fit snugly around the nose and chin; a nose wire may be helpful in achieving a close seal. They may not be made of lace or similarly open or web-like material.
- Face shields can be used in addition to face coverings, but are not an acceptable alternative to face coverings, as described above.
- Masks may be removed while eating or drinking in designated concessions areas.
- Masks will be made available at the Fringe Audience Services Desk (located at the Complex Theatres) if you forgot to bring one.
Seating at the Fringe will not have physical distancing requirements inside the theatres unless designated by the producer of each individual show, due to the low seating capacity of each theatre space. This may change if Los Angeles County calls for deeper restrictions within indoor spaces.
CLEANING & SAFETY PROTOCOLS
At least once daily, each theatre will be fully sanitized. This will include:
- Cleaning of all frequently touched surfaces
- The sanitizing of all restrooms
Digital ticketing is still our only method of delivery for advance tickets. To find your digital ticket after purchase from the Hollywood Fringe site, look out for an email from email@example.com. You do not need to print out this ticket, as each producer will have a will call sheet at the venue with ticket purchasers listed.
CONCESSIONS, MERCHANDISE & FOOD
Not all venues will have concessions sold on site. While outside the theatre premises or in their concessions/bar areas, you may take your mask off to eat or drink (theatres will post signage where this is available). Food and drink should not be consumed outside of these areas. After consuming food and drink, a mask must be reapplied.
ACTIVITIES OUTSIDE THE FRINGE ZONE
Although we cannot regulate what happens outside of our Festival grounds, we encourage our artists, producers, partners and audiences to follow these safety recommendations before and after attending or working on a Fringe show in-person. It's our duty as a community to keep each other safe, and by using the guidelines above, we can minimize the risk that COVID-19 presents to us. What we do outside our community affects us all.
- How can I book a COVID-19 testing appointment to ensure I can safely attend the Fringe?
You can book a free COVID-19 testing appointment through LA County Public Health here.
- How can I book a vaccination appointment to ensure I can safely attend the Fringe?
You can book a free COVID-19 vaccination appointment through LA County Public Health here.
- Where do I have to wear masks?
In accordance with LA County guidelines, all guests must wear face coverings during performances and while inside the theatre premises, except while outdoors or in designated concessions areas.
- What if I feel sick?
We ask all audience members, patrons, artists, and venue representatives to stay home if you do not feel well, have exhibited symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks), have tested positive for COVID-19 within the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks), or have been in contact with someone with COVID-19 in the past 10 days (about 1 and a half weeks). If any of the latter is true, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with rescheduling your tickets. If a virtual performance is available, we can help you switch your tickets to that style of attendance if you email email@example.com within 24 hours of the event. We can also help issue a refund if there are no other options available to you.
- Why masks?
In accordance with local guidelines, the Hollywood Fringe is requiring all patrons, artists (except when they are on stage), and staff to wear masks while inside our venues for the safety of all who enjoy our Festival. We acknowledge that this step will help stop the spread of the delta variant, even among those of us who are vaccinated.
More information on the Los Angeles County Health Department’s mask recommendations here.
- What happens if I don’t follow these guidelines?
Our venues and producers reserve the right to refuse entrance to anyone who does not follow these protocols. The Hollywood Fringe will happily refund those who are unwilling to follow these protocols if you do not wish to comply with safety requests of our venues and artists.
That being said, if you do not respect our producers’ or venue representatives’ requests to comply with safety protocols, we reserve the right to ban you and those in your ticketing party from participating in the Hollywood Fringe as an artist and a ticket buyer for the next two years (Hollywood Fringe 2021, 2022, and 2023).
- What if I arrive at the theatre and it doesn’t feel safe to me?
The Hollywood Fringe will offer you a full refund if you arrive at the theatre and are not comfortable attending the performance due to COVID-19 precautions. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why proof of vaccination?
In accordance with state guidelines for mega events, the Hollywood Fringe and our venue partners have decided to require all patrons to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or a negative test while inside our venues, for the safety of all who enjoy our Festival.
Although Fringe is not technically a mega event, the safety of our community is vitally important to us. Because Fringe patrons may be spending extensive periods of time physically close to large numbers of people they don't usually interact with, the risk of COVID transmission is higher.